- Places to stay: We stayed at the Renaissance Pittsburg, which used to be the Fulton building located in the cultural district. If the walls in this hotel could talk, I think they would have a lot to say! Read here about its history. The rooms were clean, and mine was quite spacious with a beautiful view of the Roberto Clemente bridge. I hear the Ace hotel is another good place to stay while in Pittsburg.
- If you’re staying close to the waterfront and looking for a path to run/walk, I’d recommend following the Three Rivers Heritage Trail. I went east on the trail towards Washington’s Landing Island, and I turned around at Herrs Island North Park. I saw so many Canadian Geese, rabbits, groundhogs, birds and a few humans along the path. You’ll also see the red brick Heinz building dating from the 1890s now converted into luxury lofts.
- Keep your eyes open & enjoy a lot of quirky art pieces around the city.
- Here’s a list of places to grab a drink or food. I found them in an article a while back.
- Check out the Strip DistrictNeighbourhood/market for multiple restaurant options
- Bar Marco– for unpretentious cocktails
- Strange Roots Experimental Ales or formerly known as Draai Laag- for a good selection of beers
- Gooski’s- for an old-school dive bar
- Cure– for their salumi plate
- Apteka-for tasty Polish food & drinks
- As for things to do, check out Mello & sons Vintage Denim shop, the Andy Warhol Museum and the PNC Park for the best views of the city and possibly a good baseball game.
- I googled and yelped ‘coffee’ and ‘coffee shop’ but nothing looked to my taste within a walking distance of the hotel. Business opportunity for an avid barista?
We were in Pittsburg for only a night and the following morning but I did get a chance to run the riverfront and get a glimpse of this city. I think I could have used at least 2 more days to explore it and get a better feel for it. I like that our hotel was located in an old building with history and that the city seemed to have a soul, and was surrounded by water and greenery.