Tips for visiting Columbus:
- Did you know that Columbus is the state capital of Ohio?
- We stayed at the Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel, which I would recommend if you’re looking for something simple, well located and clean. The hotel also has a nice outdoor pool and lounging area, a well-equipped gym and a nice concierge lounge (with friendly staff).
- Bring your walking shoes! There are a lot of parks/trails just a few minutes from downtown. Walk towards the riverfront and follow the Lower Scioto trail for fantastic views of Columbus and nature that surrounds it.
- I could see the Capitol Square from my room. The Ohio state house, located within the square, is a very pretty building and worth making a quick stop to see it.
- Take time to explore The German Village. Built by German settlers in the 1800s, this area offers European vibes, shops, and flavors. My uber driver told me about it and I will be checking it out next time I’m in town! Click here for more info.
- East of the German Village, you will find the Brewery district which was also built by the same German settlers. This area is known for their dining and entertainment options. I hear they have an awesome beer offering!
- A few more sites I’d like to check out next time: the COSI (science museum), the Ohio Theater (built in 1928!) and the Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens.
Impressions of Columbus:
I was surprised with a work trip to Columbus, Ohio. I didn’t have the time nor the desire (if I’m completely honest) to look up the city before we landed. I just thought another gray city with buildings and not much to explore.
Oh how I was wrong! I never thought I’d say this but I would enjoy going back to this city and having more time to enjoy it.
My run along the Scioto River, surrounded by greenery, was so pleasant and a wonderful surprise!
The town was buzzing and I saw so many cute shops and areas I would like to venture in. My drive to Kroger, to pick up last-minute food for the flight, also brought me through the Brewery district and I instantly regretted not going out to enjoy a drink here the night before.
Columbus, you were a wonderful surprise!