Tips for visiting Visiting Canyonlands National Park:
- You will be driving through most of Canyonlands National Park (it’s a paved scenic drive).
- Give yourself enough time to drive around and make multiple stops as well as visit Dead Horse Point State Park that is right next to it.
- Bring a lunch & water.
- I recommend making these stops along the way:
- Walk to the Grand view overlook – you will feel like you are part of the backdrop and will feel very small.
- Mesa Arch for a short hike, and arch and a view
- Stop at upheaval dome / Crater Overlook. If you feel like a little bit of a challenge, make it to the second viewpoint, which is lower down.
- Next time I’d like to do the hike that goes into it. It’s an advanced trail apparently.
Impressions of Canyonlands National Park:
I would have loved to spend more time in this park and cover Dead Horse State Park. The scenery was amazing and it wasn’t crowded compared to other parks we explored on this road trip. I’d say this is a well-hidden secret park!
I was looking for an outdoor workout so my friend waited for me as I sprinted up a huge rock between the first and second viewpoint of the upheaval dome trail. I did this a few times, and let me tell you, it will tire you out!
Related posts: Visiting Antelope Canyon & Waterhole Canyon, Visiting Capitol Reef National Park, Visiting Torrey, Visiting Arches National Park, Visiting Page & surroundings, Visiting Bryce Canyon National Park, Visiting Zion National Park, Visiting Moab and Visiting Salt Lake City.